Monday, August 15, 2011

Shrimp Stuffed Zucchini Boats



I'm not even sure what to say to start this off. :)

Just make these. I promise you will inhale them. They were that good.
More than good...spectacular, phenomenal. Amazingly fresh.

OK, take a couple mushrooms and chop them up.


I used 3 med sized zucchini for this, but I ended up with quite a bit of the filling leftover. So, you could easily use 4 or 5. Slice them lengthwise.


Take a spoon and gently scrape out the seats and meat. If you've never done this before (ahem...Annie) be gentle. Don't try to get it all out in one scoop.


Brush the insides with a bit of olive oil and lay them open side down on a baking sheet or stone. Put them under the broiler for about 8-10 minutes.


While those are in the oven, get some shrimp (I used 1lb of large) and chop them up a bit, into 3 pieces or so. Raw shrimp really grosses me out. It just does...I can't help it.


OK, now throw about 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a pan. Toss in 3 pressed cloves of garlic and 1/2 of a yellow onion. Let them saute for a couple minutes.  Then take the shrimp, mushrooms, onion & garlic...toss them together in a bowl with about 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Add 1 can of Italian diced tomatoes (drain them as much as you can). Last, toss in 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese & 1/2 cup of feta cheese.

It's not the prettiest mixture in the world.


Scoop the mixture into the zucchini halves. Sprinkle some more Parmesan cheese on them and pop them in the oven at 450 degrees for 25 minutes.



So, like I mentioned earlier, I had a ton of the filling left over. I threw it into a skillet for a few minutes until the shrimp was nice and pink. 
I was planning on serving these with some Lavash crackers (flat bread). I took a sample.


Boats are done!


I'm making these again very, very soon. Next week possibly.

They were exceptional. Such amazing flavor!



1 comment:

  1. Hi! Made these for guests tonight, and they were a hit! Served with herbed brown rice. Only changes were - broil zucchini only 3 minutes, used precooked shrimp, and fresh diced roma tomatoes. Thanks for the recipe, it's a keeper! (I have leftover mixture too, thinking of an omelette tomorrow morning!)

    ReplyDelete