Friday, August 5, 2011

Mediterranean Sausage Sandwiches

When I told my mom that I was making these she said that they sounded like a contradiction. :) See, I'm trying to incorporate some healthier (Mediterranean) recipes into my menus. I've been doing a lot of reading about cooking this way and I'm actually really excited to explore some new flavors. That being said, I still have some meals to make that don't exactly fall into that category...so I adapted the best I could.

And these turned out awesome. Really awesome.


OK, let me start with the bell peppers. Have you ever seen a bright purple bell pepper? I had not...but I discovered them at a local farmer's market this week. Aren't they pretty??


I diced the peppers up with 1/2 of a yellow onion. I tossed them into a pan with about 2 Tbsps of olive oil and 2 pressed garlic cloves. Then I added 2tsp of Greek Seasoning. I let them go over low heat until soft (about 15min).


Meanwhile, I tossed the sausages in the grill. Turn them every 6 minutes for about 20-25 minutes.


Then I sliced them up and mixed them in with the pepper & onions.



I let it all heat together for a few. Meanwhile, I took some whole wheat rolls, drizzled olive oil on them and threw them on the grill. To assemble them...I spread a bit of hummus on the bottom roll. Next comes the meat and peppers. Top it off with some crumbled feta cheese.

It's really simple and really delicious!





No comments:

Post a Comment