Saturday, August 14, 2010

Beef & Tomato Gravy with Biscuits

My Mother-in-law makes awesome biscuits and gravy. They are super simple...not much to them, but oh-so good. I've been hooked on them for a while now.  This recipe came from one of my Pampered Chef Cookbooks. I changed it up just a smidge by using ground beef instead of pork sausage. You can do whichever...they both rock.

Ingredients:
1lb ground beef, 1 small onion, 2 cans (I decided to add a 2nd after taking the pic) diced tomatoes, 2 tsp dried thyme leaves, ground black pepper, 3 Tbsp flour, refrigerated can of biscuits (this recipe makes a TON of gravy so you can make more biscuits than this if you want) & some eggs for the side.

Oh, and you want 1.5 cups of milk..but I forgot about that here.

Okie dokie. First you heat up the oven according to the  biscuit directions. Mine said 350. I always make biscuits on a stone because it browns them evenly top and bottom.


While those are baking (about 17 min) I start the gravy.
Cook the ground beef until browned, drain.


While the meat cooks, chop up the onion.


Now you add the flour and thyme to the meat.



Stir it around until it is mixed well.


Toss in the onions.


Let it cook for about 4 minutes until the onions soften.
Add salt.


And Pepper. This was the first time I've used one of these McCormick Grinder thingies..I kind of liked it. A lot.


Add the milk and bring it to a boil.



Let it simmer for about 3-4 minutes.
Add the tomatoes.


Stir it up and let it simmer for another minute or so until it thickens.
It should look something like this:


Perfection.


By now the biscuits should be done.


Nice & flaky.


Split the biscuits, pour some gravy over the bottom and put the top back on. Serve it up with some scrambled eggs and you're good to go!



Super hearty. Really delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment